One story back; rejected. I’ll give it a quick review, then send it to the next market. I’ve plotted and listed all the scenes for the first book in the novella trilogy. As I feared, the poetry self-paced mini-MFA is off to a slow start. Paying work always takes precedence.
I’ve gone through my editorial report for my book of related stories and the big news is that it’s a novel. The feedback was good, in fact, so good we both think this will work as a nice little novel. That changes my publishing schedule but should make it a stronger book.
I’ve also started to freelance copyedit specializing in fantasy and speculative fiction. I’m doing a giveaway for three free copyedits up to ten pages each. This is perfect for a short story. The details are here: Epos Books.
Revisions to the anthology are progressing nicely. First story will be off to my first reader shortly. It’s time to find an editor and get it onto their schedule. I always hesitate at this point because it means committing to a deadline and I still have revisions to finish, and evaluating and editing in responses from beta readers. I have to receive those responses first. It all gets tricky.
Paltry Sums is finally out on submission. Another story is off to a first reader. Work continues on my fairytale-ish dragon story. Still searching for the voice of that story.
The major plot points of book one of my novella trilogy have been identified and laid out. There is still more character work but at least I know the major things that happen to them. This weekend I completed laying out the order of events but there is still more plotting to do.
I found a few of articles and essays discussing how to educate yourself on writing poetry. I’m putting together a self-paced Poetry MFA curriculum for myself and I’ll be starting the coursework about the same time my kids go back to college. Good luck to me.
Over the last week, I revised and edited several stories. One, Paltry Sums, is finally ready to submit. I’m finally happy with the voice and tone.
The anthology of six connected stories is moving along better than I thought. I set it aside for a couple of weeks after finishing the first real draft, and upon reading it, I really like the project.
My fairytale-ish dragon story has found the right tone, but I’m still not happy with the Main Character’s voice. Something is missing.
Last weekend I did some poetry editing, but spent most of my time detailing characters and plotting out the novella anthology. I’m happy with the way the trilogy shaping up. There will be a challenge getting multiple POVs and storylines into a novella form, but it’s a series, and it’s epic fantasy, so I think it will work.
Edited several poems. Feel like I’m making progress on that craft. I also worked on the three novella series plot. That feels less like progress.
I did change Melina Unbound to present tense and that has improved the energy of the story. It still needs better words and deeper images.
Struck by a new idea for a short story. It’s just an idea, but it could develop quickly. I sketched a brief overview and some worldbuilding elements.
I did a chunk of worldbuilding for both novellas. I don’t normally work on two similar projects at once but the ideas came and needed to be written down before anything was lost.
I should mention that I don’t record in this series the craft work that is ongoing. Reading about craft, doing exercises, and receiving feedback is all part of the work. Hopefully, the results are revealed by the works in progress.